Under normal circumstances, anxiety is a natural response that helps us react to threats in our environment. When these impulses aren’t managed appropriately, however, they can cause significant disruptions to our lives and happiness.
Anxiety disorders affect approximately 40 million adults in the U.S. Conventional medical treatment for anxiety-related disorders includes selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or SSRIs, and tranquilizers. Some examples of these pharmaceuticals include Prozac, Xanax and Zoloft. While these drugs can be effective for some patients, others don’t see significant relief of their symptoms or can’t handle the side effects.
In these situations, cannabis can prove valuable for anxiety-related disorders. Learn more about cannabis products for treating anxiety.
How Does Cannabis Treat Anxiety?
One of the non-psychoactive cannabinoids found in marijuana is cannabidiol, or CBD. In clinical settings, many researchers have found that CBD has a calming effect on that brain that can treat a variety of anxiety-related disorders, such as generalized anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, social phobia, obsessive-compulsive disorder and panic disorders.
CBD causes several actions in the brain that work to reduce anxiety symptoms. SSRIs work by blocking reabsorption in the brain, which helps brain cells transmit more serotonin signals to reduce anxiety and elevate moods. CBD boosts signal through serotonin receptors in a similar manner as SSRIs, without any of the side effects.
The Best Cannabis Products for Treating Anxiety
Marijuana affects anxiety patients differently, due to a variety of factors. The concentration of CBD in the strain has the most significant impact on the anxiety symptoms, so it’s always best to seek out strains that have been tested and approved by anxiety patients.
Here are our top picks:
- Granddaddy Purple: This is a hybrid strain created from two indica strains. It has a grape and berry aroma with large buds and deep purple flowers. Granddaddy Purple can cause physical relaxation, as well as relief from pain, depression, insomnia and stress, leading to a peace mindset.
- 5th Element: This is a 100 percent indica strain that’s quite potent. 5th Element produces huge yields of sticky buds that feature a powerful earthy, lemony smell and flavor. The effects are quite strong with a good mix of cerebral and body highs. While you may experience mild paranoia, this strain has been known to induce feelings of relaxation and euphoria and has been used to treat stress.
- Girl Scout Cookies: This is a hybrid strain that comes from OG Kush and Durban Poison, with a rich, citrus taste and earthy musk. It can induce cerebral euphoria and physical comfort, which helps relieve symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety, aches and pains, insomnia and nausea.
- Captain’s Cake: This is a hybrid cross between Girl Scout Cookies and White Fire Alien OG. With bright citrus terpenes on the nose and palate, and a sweet doughy earth aroma, Captain’s Cake is a crowd-pleaser with enjoyable relaxing effects. This strain is euphoric and easy on the limbs in small doses, but can get rather sedating with heavy consumption. Enjoy the laid-back energy of Captain’s Cake into the evening to set you up for a good night’s rest.
- Northern Lights: This is one of the most common indica-dominant strains. It causes intense drowsiness and relaxation effect, which leads most users to limit their use. Because of this, Northern Lights is useful for treating pain, inappetence, insomnia and the symptoms caused by anxiety disorders.
Treat Your Anxiety with Cannabis from Euphoria Wellness
All of these strains have been proven to help with the symptoms of anxiety and mood disorders, but they’re not the only ones available. At Euphoria Wellness in Maryland, our highly-trained staff can guide you through our wide selection of strains to find the best cannabis products for treating anxiety. Call or stop by today with your Maryland medical cannabis card to check out our menu and get on the road to healthy, stress-free living!